you won't be able to achieve this exact same effect if you don't have a custom SDK integration unfortunately, and it would be considered a "hack". The reason for that is that particles are accessing the skinned mesh at evolve time, instead of at particle spawn, which means that in order to create such an FX correctly, it needs to rely on the Attributes Samplers at evolve feature (you can vote for it here https://trello.com/c/lY0zNHHb/55-attribute-samplers-at-evolve).
Right now, if you sample an attribute sampler at particle spawn, it works correctly, but if you try accessing this sample attribute sampler over the particle life (for example projection evolver, script evolver, ..), it'll fallback to the default shape in PopcornFX.
How this effect was created:
- Sample parametric coords on the mesh
- Sample uvs on the mesh by using the parametric coords
- Sample the diffuse texture with the uvs to assign that as "ParticleColor" or something
- Sample the vertex color by using the parametric coords, they define the time to "detach" from the mesh, so the mesh was gradient painted from white to black depending on body parts
- Lerp between the "detached" and "sticked" positions on the mesh, knowing that the detached one is computed by using turbulence and other forces
You should be able to create a similar looking effect though, but it won't be possible right now to have particles stick exactly on the mesh.
Hope this helps.